As 2022 spins up, El Kaiser and J.D. check in on NASA’s big new fancy space telescope and other recent tech headlines. This week’s episode also features some thoughts on The Expanse and tips for adjusting your privacy settings in Android 12 and iOS 15. You can find it all here on PTJ 361!
Like Clippy in a Microsoft Teams background, El Kaiser and J.D. are back after a somewhat inadvertent hiatus! The new season of Pop Tech Jam kicks off with El Kaiser’s thoughts on the most recent Suicide Squad reboot/remake/reimagining and includes J.D.’s usual roundup of technology and nerd news headlines — plus some tips for tidying your phone’s home screen and making the most of shortcut menus and widgets. Join us here on PTJ 356!
In this week’s episode of Pop Tech Jam, El Kaiser and J.D. discuss the headlines from the world of tech, including the U.S. government’s own Bitcoin grab as it claws back the Colonial Pipeline ransom. El Kaiser would like Batman to have at least one nice day and J.D. ambles through the major announcements from this year’s Apple’s World Wide Developers Conference. Just push play to hear it all on PTJ 355!
New stuff! We finally have lots of new products to talk about! El Kaiser and JD discuss a flurry of hardware announcements from several tech companies, as well as Google’s new FLoC tracking system and the results of Amazon’s union vote. El Kaiser also shares his thoughts on HBO’s His Dark Materials series and JD has tips for home design before you actually move into the home. Join us here on PTJ 352!
Labor Day has been here and gone for weeks now, so El Kaiser and JD get back to business with a pile of news, including the new PlayStation and Xbox consoles arriving on November and recap of Apple’s September event. And because the year is only going to get more intense from here, this week’s episode also offers suggestions for science-fiction television entertainment to temporarily make you forget the current state of this world. Come on along for PTJ 344!
- Nintendo Said to Boost Switch Production by Another 20% (Bloomberg)
- PlayStation 5 preorders: Sony reveals release date and price (VentureBeat)
- Microsoft reveals Xbox Series S specs, promises four times the processing power of Xbox One (The Verge)
- Xbox Series X launches on November 10th for $499 (The Verge)
- Microsoft is adding EA Play to Xbox Game Pass (Engadget)
- Microsoft to acquire ZeniMax Media and its game publisher Bethesda Softworks (Microsoft)
- Microsoft to acquire Elder Scrolls, Fallout, other hit games in $7.5B deal for Bethesda Softworks parent (GeekWire)
- A closer look at Luna, Amazon’s cloud gaming service (Engadget)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick and Fire TV Stick Lite announced, start at $30 (CNBC)
- Amazon announces all-new Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Dot with Clock (CNBC)
- Amazon Unveils Drone That Films Inside Your Home. What Could Go Wrong? (The New York Times)
- Amazon Ring security drone and swiveling Echo Show push the boundaries of surveillance, again (The Washington Post)
- Guitars Are Back, Baby! (The New York Times)
- Windows 10 running Android apps via Your Phone is fully rolled out – and the feature will soon get even better (TechRadar)
- The new Surface Duo (Microsoft)
- Streaming service Quibi explores strategic options, including sale —WSJ (Reuters)
- Mozilla shuts down Firefox Send file transfer service after malware abuse (CNet)
- Google ‘formally’ bans stalkerware apps from the Play Store (ZDNet)
- EU regulator orders Facebook to stop transferring user data to America (Seeking Alpha)
- Twitter rolls out new security features to prevent Election Day chaos (The Verge)
- Improved Account Security during the 2020 US Election (Twitter)
- Facebook Moves to Limit Election Chaos in November (The New York Times)
- New Steps to Protect the US Elections (Facebook Newsroom)
- Facebook to pay users to quit the app as part of election study (Business Insider)
- New Facebook and Instagram Research Initiative to Look at US 2020 Presidential Election (Facebook Newsroom)
- The Washington Post’s Elizabeth Dwoskin (Twitter)
- September 15th Apple Event (Apple)
- Apple Event 2020: Here’s everything that was announced (CNBC)
- Justice Dept. Plans to File Antitrust Charges Against Google in Coming Weeks (The New York Times)
- “Star Trek: Discovery” Returns October 15 (Star Trek)
- Baby Yoda has returned to redeem this terrible year in “The Mandalorian” season two trailer (Lainey Gossip)
- ‘She-Hulk’ Disney Plus Series Casts Tatiana Maslany in Lead Role (Variety)
- Chadwick Boseman’s legacy can be continued (CNN)
- It’s Hard to Make Dignity Interesting. Chadwick Boseman Found a Way. (The New York Times)
- Dame Diana Rigg: Avengers, Bond and Game of Thrones actress dies at 82 (BBC News)
Science-Fiction TV Shows for Escaping Reality
Epic Games has fired antitrust shots at Apple and Google over their app stores, Facebook does a bit of cleaning and fans of Microsoft Fight Simulator can take to the virtual skies again in a glorious new version of the program . Meanwhile, back on the ground, El Kaiser has thoughts on Star Wars: Resistance and J.D. shares some tips on what to do with your old gear after you upgrade to new stuff. All this and more, right here on PTJ 343!
As much of the country continues huddling at home to avoid spreading the coronavirus, El Kaiser and J.D. keep themselves busy with a look at the recent technology news — including the Zoom boom (and bust), Apple’s control of the weather and the debut of the new Quibi short-form video app. And for those who’ve now watched everything online, J.D. has a (Hopefully) Helpful Hint about digitizing your documents since you’re already stuck in the house. PTJ 331 is here to keep you company!
Links to Stories in This Week’s News Roundup
(Hopefully) Helpful Hint
2020 is here and with it, new laws and other rules that might make life as a technology consumer a little easier. After a quick recap of the recent headlines by J.D., El Kaiser shares his adventures as both an impulse buyer of a brand new iMac Pro, and as the custodian of a trusty old 2008 Mac Pro tower that still has some life in it. Happy New Year, Pop Tech listeners, and here’s Episode 324!
Links to News Stories on This Week’s Show
El Kasier’s Big Upgrade
On this week’s episode, El Kaiser and J.D. offer their initial impressions on The Mandalorian, the new Disney+ live-action show set in the Star Wars universe. After a quick trip through recent tech headlines, J.D. also supplies a (Hopefully) Helpful Hint about getting started with touch-screen drawing apps. Use the Force and punch the button for Episode 322!
Links to News Stories on This Week’s Show
(Hopefully) Helpful Hint