Changes are coming to the way the big app stores do business, the U.S. government spins up a fellowship program for new technologists and children in China get their gaming time regulated — El Kaiser and J.D. roll through the news of the past few weeks with plenty of opinions along the way. El Kaiser also has a public-service warning about a show to avoid and J.D. offers tips for those nervously heading back to the classroom or office before the pandemic wanes. Click right here to join us on PTJ 357!
Like Clippy in a Microsoft Teams background, El Kaiser and J.D. are back after a somewhat inadvertent hiatus! The new season of Pop Tech Jam kicks off with El Kaiser’s thoughts on the most recent Suicide Squad reboot/remake/reimagining and includes J.D.’s usual roundup of technology and nerd news headlines — plus some tips for tidying your phone’s home screen and making the most of shortcut menus and widgets. Join us here on PTJ 356!
In this week’s episode of Pop Tech Jam, El Kaiser and J.D. discuss the headlines from the world of tech, including the U.S. government’s own Bitcoin grab as it claws back the Colonial Pipeline ransom. El Kaiser would like Batman to have at least one nice day and J.D. ambles through the major announcements from this year’s Apple’s World Wide Developers Conference. Just push play to hear it all on PTJ 355!
New stuff! We finally have lots of new products to talk about! El Kaiser and JD discuss a flurry of hardware announcements from several tech companies, as well as Google’s new FLoC tracking system and the results of Amazon’s union vote. El Kaiser also shares his thoughts on HBO’s His Dark Materials series and JD has tips for home design before you actually move into the home. Join us here on PTJ 352!
After several weeks of unexpected hiatus, El Kaiser and JD return to catch up on the Justice League Snyder cut, NFTs, eco-friendly map directions, NASA’s Mars helicopter — and a whole bunch of Bluetooth headphones. Spin up Episode 351 right here!
El Kaiser’s Headphone Mega-Roundup
After a seven-month commute through space, NASA’s Perseverance rover is due to arrive on Mars next week! So, some science to go with our science-fiction television on this week’s episode, as El Kaiser shares his thoughts regarding later seasons of The Expanse on Amazon Prime and WandaVision on Disney+ . And J.D. has a smattering of tech news, including reports that Twitter is looking at subscription possibilities, along with resources on how to find out when you and your family can get the Covid-19 vaccine. It’s all here on PTJ 350!
As the last week of January rolls in, so do the Internet themes and memes — including TikTok’s flirtation with sea shanties and the cold-weather fashion of Senator Bernie Sanders. El Kaiser and J.D. ponder the latest Web whimsy, as well as Google and Apple’s fight against the ongoing problems of the world, other tech news and fun things to do with your smartphone’s camera. Hear it all on PTJ 349!
After long, unintended absence, El Kaiser and J.D. are back to praise The Mandalorian, chew on the news, talk audio hardware and mourn the loss of the iconic radio telescope at Puerto Rico’s Arecibo Observatory. As 2020 continues its quest for Worst Year Ever (Modern Edition), we remind ourselves to stay flex in the Q-Zone. PTJ 346 is here for you.
Links to Stories on This Episode
• Beta 87A
• Beta 87C
Labor Day has been here and gone for weeks now, so El Kaiser and JD get back to business with a pile of news, including the new PlayStation and Xbox consoles arriving on November and recap of Apple’s September event. And because the year is only going to get more intense from here, this week’s episode also offers suggestions for science-fiction television entertainment to temporarily make you forget the current state of this world. Come on along for PTJ 344!
- Nintendo Said to Boost Switch Production by Another 20% (Bloomberg)
- PlayStation 5 preorders: Sony reveals release date and price (VentureBeat)
- Microsoft reveals Xbox Series S specs, promises four times the processing power of Xbox One (The Verge)
- Xbox Series X launches on November 10th for $499 (The Verge)
- Microsoft is adding EA Play to Xbox Game Pass (Engadget)
- Microsoft to acquire ZeniMax Media and its game publisher Bethesda Softworks (Microsoft)
- Microsoft to acquire Elder Scrolls, Fallout, other hit games in $7.5B deal for Bethesda Softworks parent (GeekWire)
- A closer look at Luna, Amazon’s cloud gaming service (Engadget)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick and Fire TV Stick Lite announced, start at $30 (CNBC)
- Amazon announces all-new Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Dot with Clock (CNBC)
- Amazon Unveils Drone That Films Inside Your Home. What Could Go Wrong? (The New York Times)
- Amazon Ring security drone and swiveling Echo Show push the boundaries of surveillance, again (The Washington Post)
- Guitars Are Back, Baby! (The New York Times)
- Windows 10 running Android apps via Your Phone is fully rolled out – and the feature will soon get even better (TechRadar)
- The new Surface Duo (Microsoft)
- Streaming service Quibi explores strategic options, including sale —WSJ (Reuters)
- Mozilla shuts down Firefox Send file transfer service after malware abuse (CNet)
- Google ‘formally’ bans stalkerware apps from the Play Store (ZDNet)
- EU regulator orders Facebook to stop transferring user data to America (Seeking Alpha)
- Twitter rolls out new security features to prevent Election Day chaos (The Verge)
- Improved Account Security during the 2020 US Election (Twitter)
- Facebook Moves to Limit Election Chaos in November (The New York Times)
- New Steps to Protect the US Elections (Facebook Newsroom)
- Facebook to pay users to quit the app as part of election study (Business Insider)
- New Facebook and Instagram Research Initiative to Look at US 2020 Presidential Election (Facebook Newsroom)
- The Washington Post’s Elizabeth Dwoskin (Twitter)
- September 15th Apple Event (Apple)
- Apple Event 2020: Here’s everything that was announced (CNBC)
- Justice Dept. Plans to File Antitrust Charges Against Google in Coming Weeks (The New York Times)
- “Star Trek: Discovery” Returns October 15 (Star Trek)
- Baby Yoda has returned to redeem this terrible year in “The Mandalorian” season two trailer (Lainey Gossip)
- ‘She-Hulk’ Disney Plus Series Casts Tatiana Maslany in Lead Role (Variety)
- Chadwick Boseman’s legacy can be continued (CNN)
- It’s Hard to Make Dignity Interesting. Chadwick Boseman Found a Way. (The New York Times)
- Dame Diana Rigg: Avengers, Bond and Game of Thrones actress dies at 82 (BBC News)
Science-Fiction TV Shows for Escaping Reality