The Comic-Con International: San Diego event wrapped up this past weekend after about five days of nonstop hype and news blasts. The event — which throws Hollywood marketing people in with comics fans, animation lovers, cosplay kids, science-fiction and fantasy enthusiasts and all genre aficionados in between — saw a number of announcements.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- The name of the Avengers sequel will be called Avengers: Age of Ultron and it’s due out in 2015.
- George R.R. Martin said he would be open to writing a prequel to the action in the Game of Thrones series, although some fans have pointed out that he hasn’t finished the two remaining books in the current Game of Thrones saga.
- Game of Thrones favorite Peter Dinklage will be playing Bolivar Trask in the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past movie.
- Fans for to see the entire pilot episode of this fall’s Agents of SHIELD television show and WIRED was among the sites that loved it.
- Also in preview mode, Walking Dead, which showed about four minutes of Season 4, the first half of which starts October 13th.
- Doctor Who fans got a lot of love as Comic Con as well, with a panel discussion with the show’s creators and stars — and a very special sneak peek at the trailer for this fall’s 50th anniversary special. Fan favorite Karen Gillan, (“Come along, Pond”), also showed off her shiny new shaved-head look for her role as Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Gillian Anderson turned up for an X-Files panel and joked that there’s a lost Mulder-Scully sex scene out there from the old show, which sent some fans into a frenzy — although she actually said later she’d been kidding. But she wouldn’t mind doing another X-Files movie some day.
- And Batman and Superman are going to team up for movie in 2015. Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill are set to return as director and hero, Batman needs to be cast since Christian Bale hung up the cowl. The film is expected to pave the way for a Justice League movie that teams up even more DC superheroes for 2017. No sign of casting calls for Zatanna, Elongated Man, Martian Manhunter or the Hawkcouple, but please, someone needs to get crackin’ on a Wonder Woman flick. Like, now.
If you need more Comic-Con 2013 news, click here or here or here for roundups — and start clearing your schedule for 2015.